Wednesday, July 14, 2010

An Homage to working, living, breathing in Hardware Store Culture

UNDER CONSTRUCTION always and forever.

What is it that people find fascinating about Hardware Stores? I never even pondered the question when I applied to work at one right out of high school. Over the years I have encountered many of the J.R.R Tolkein folk, ya know the wanderers who aren't lost? or more importantly who aren't looking for anything in particular. All they seem to do is awake from their unfocused trance and exclaim wistfully, "Oh, I just love Hardware Stores... I could just get lost for hours!". And on their way they go. This approach is certainly common among all hardware stores and is often underestimated. No one should ever underestimate the hardware store junky, or their culture. It is a passionate pastime that means different things to different people.

Speaking of people, you should never work for a hardware store if you don't like people. AKA have an extremely high tolerance for all kinds of people, with all kinds of missions, projects, attitudes, questions, questions, questions, smells (You know exactly what I mean.), languages, and industry slang. Oddly enough, this very high tolerance tool led to my eventual degree in cultural Anthropology. I am a hardware geek and a people geek. I assure you I am perfectly interesting, have much to offer the world, and many stories to share. Get excited.

So what is my purpose? I hope to share my fantasies, fiction, and truth about this personal and fascinating culture, to give helpful advice, share industry secrets, make you laugh out loud- for real, and make more people want to walk into the local hardware store.

Fantasy number one:
My own hardware store
My own hardware store pet(UH yes a dog, a cat, annnnnd a mini horse)
My own early morning donuts for me and customers.

Truth number one:
Yes, I'm a girl. Yes, I like hardware. And yes, I think it's perfectly normal.

4 comments:

  1. I'm close to giddy that I'm your first commenter. Kip Ronald

    ReplyDelete
  2. And "perfectly interesting" is a perfectly interesting phrase. Kip Ronald

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last comment for now: how many "adventures" have you had with "costumers"? Kip Ronald

    ReplyDelete
  4. No kidding, Kip! I also LOVE hardware and hardware stores! On Mothers' Day a couple of years ago, my husband asked me what I wanted to do? Take a trip to Armstrong Woods? A drive to Jenner? Go out for dinner? Nope. I wanted to go to a hardware store and go down EVERY aisle!!! I wanted to look at drywall, fly swatters, faux painting technique books, plants, shelf liner, and trash cans, etc. etc. He was WORN out by the time we finished two hours later. I LOVED it!!! Happy Mothers' Day!

    ReplyDelete